top of page
Super Star Destroyer build
Bandai 1/1000,000 scale
This is the Bandai Super Star Destroyer loosely assembled to see how it would all fit together and how much room I would have for adding lighting.
The first thing I did was
prime the entire model
with Tamiya fine gray
primer. After that, I airbrushed it with a coat of Tamiya neutral gray.
I then did a wash over the kit with Tamiya German gray
A little size reference
It was then time to drill out the
engines for adding LED lighting.
I carefully drilled out the engines
with a 73 size micro drill bit,
which I believe is around .5 mm.
A red flickering 0603 SMD LED was then carefully fed through the first hole I had drilled and put into place and tested.
The other engine parts were then also drilled out and had the LEDs carefully thread through them. A total of 13 engines with 13 LEDs.
All of the wires from the LEDs were then connected together to just 2 wires. A hot and a ground wire.
And all LEDs were tested one final time before sealing up the model.
With everything working, it was time to move on making my base. I built a frame from 1.5mm styrene and cut out areas for the buttons and USB power. One main power button (left) to turn on and off the model, a switch in the middle to switch between USB power or coin cell battery power if wanted, and the USB power board (right).
I then attached a sheet of mirrored styrene to the top of my base.
A hole was then drilled through the mirrored styrene and an aluminum rod fed through to support the Super Star Destroyer, as well as feed the power wires through into the base. Soldering of the components was done and my coin cell battery holders were then mounted in place.
One last final test with everything assembled and wired up, and the rest is history as they say. Please check out the final model HERE.
bottom of page