Super Star Destroyer build

Bandai 1/1000,000 scale

This is the Bandai Super Star Destroyer loosely assembled to see how it would all fit together and how much room I would have for adding lighting.

20191001_202508.jpg
20191001_202639.jpg

The first thing I did was

prime the entire model

with Tamiya fine gray

primer.  After that, I airbrushed it with a coat of Tamiya neutral gray.

20191005_161939.jpg

I then did a wash over the kit with Tamiya German gray

20191006_113130.jpg
20191006_113641.jpg

A little size reference

20191006_113228.jpg
20191006_113749.jpg

It was then time to drill out the

engines for adding LED lighting. 

I carefully drilled out the engines

with a 73 size micro drill bit,

which I believe is around .5 mm.

20191008_082242.jpg

A red flickering 0603 SMD LED was then carefully fed through the first hole I had drilled and put into place and tested. 

20191006_212206.jpg
20191006_212150.jpg
20191006_212307.jpg
20191006_213759.jpg

The other engine parts were then also drilled out and had the LEDs carefully thread through them.  A total of 13 engines with 13 LEDs.

20191006_214114.jpg
20191008_213525.jpg
20191008_194642.jpg

All of the wires from the LEDs were then connected together to just 2 wires.  A hot and a ground wire.

20191008_203541.jpg

And all LEDs were tested one final time before sealing up the model.

20191009_062320.jpg
20191009_062336.jpg

With everything working, it was time to move on making my base.  I built a frame from 1.5mm styrene and cut out areas for the buttons and USB power.  One main power button (left) to turn on and off the model, a switch in the middle to switch between USB power or coin cell battery power if wanted, and the USB power board (right).

20191011_124350.jpg
20191011_124909.jpg

I then attached a sheet of mirrored styrene to the top of my base.

20191011_125214.jpg
20191011_130510.jpg

A hole was then drilled through the mirrored styrene and an aluminum rod fed through to support the Super Star Destroyer, as well as feed the power wires through into the base.  Soldering of the components was done and my coin cell battery holders were then mounted in place.

20191023_083222.jpg
20191023_083330.jpg
20191023_083245.jpg

One last final test with everything assembled and wired up, and the rest is history as they say.  Please check out the final model HERE.

20191023_093630.jpg